Abstract submission is now open for BSACI 2024!
New announcements for BSACI 2024:
**NB. There will be ONLY ONE Abstract Submission Window this year**
Abstract Submission deadline: Midnight UK time Monday 10th June 2024
The BSACI conference team have decided to combine the early and late conference windows to simplify the process for anyone submitting an abstract.
**There is a NEW Category for abstracts: Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity**
BSACI is excited to have a new category for abstracts related to projects that involve EDI in allergy or immunology. There will be a special award for the best EDI poster. Please think if your project has relevance to the EDI discussion and get submitting. If you’re not sure if your abstract relates to EDI do email us and we’ll be happy to guide you email@example.com
**The EDUCATION abstracts category continues this year **
BSACI is keen to continue to promote education-related research within allergy and immunology. Please continue to submit any education-related work you (patient or healthcare professional facing or other) have undertaken to this category to help share your projects widely.
Presenting an abstract at the BSACI Annual Conference is a unique opportunity for your work to gain exposure in our allergy community, and for you to discuss your work with others in a collegiate space.
Suitable abstracts will also be published in Clinical and Experimental Allergy, the official journal of the society.
We encourage submissions on any topic related to allergy or immunology, clinical or basic science. If you’re not sure if your topic would be suitable do contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see Guidelines for submission below:
Abstract Submission Portal
Use the portal below to submit your abstract
Awards for Research Excellence
Barry Kay Awards
All accepted abstracts (where the presenter is an “Early career presenter”) will be considered for the prestigious Barry Kay Awards. This award recognises Professor Barry Kay’s national and international contributions to the field of allergy and asthma, which have inspired so many young allergists and chest physicians.
An award will be presented to an early career abstract presenter in one of each of the following categories:
- Basic Science
- Paediatric Clinical
- Adult Clinical
- Primary Care
- Allied Health
- Medical Students
The awards are presented during the “Celebrating Excellence in Allergy Care and Research” session at the meeting.
To view 2023 recipients of the Barry Kay award and see published abstracts for 2023 click here.
The Tony Frew Education Award
The Tony Frew Education Award is a special award to reward an outstanding submission related to education in the field of allergy or immunology.
If you would like your project to be considered, please submit via the abstract portal above, and select the “Education category”.
The prize for this award is £250 which has been kindly supported by Professor Helen Smith. The winner will also receive a framed certificate.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusivity Abstract Award
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) Award is a NEW special award, to reward outstanding submissions which include a focus on EDI. If you would like your project to be considered, please submit via the abstract portal above, and select the “Equality, Diversity & Inclusivity category”.
The prize will be awarded during the conference.
Scholarships and Awards that support attendance to the conference
BSACI are offering financial support for the Annual Conference by providing the following funding for attendees.
BSACI Abstract Award Scheme 2024
This award scheme is designed to help those with accepted abstracts to attend the conference by supporting registration, travel, and accommodation costs. Our aim is to support those who have less access to financial resources to apply to the Abstract Award Scheme.
If you would like to be considered for one of these abstract awards, please follow the HOW to APPLY instructions below.
- BSACI members as well as non-members can apply to the Abstract Award Scheme. Preference will be given to BSACI members.
- Applications from the presenting author of any ACCEPTED abstract
- Trainees (medical or AHP), undergraduate students, allied health professionals (including dietitians, nurses, psychologists, speech-and-language)
These criteria are consistent with our wish to make the conference as inclusive as possible and also reward high-quality submissions. Should you have any questions please contact email@example.com
How to apply:
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 10th June 2024 to include the following:
- A supporting letter from your head of department
- Covering letter from yourself indicating:
- Whether this is your first time attending the conference
- Your professional background
- The number of nights you are planning to stay
- Where you will be travelling from to attend the conference
- Whether you have other funding sources for support to attend this event (e.g. other organisational awards e.g. PhD travel award)
- The title and submission ID of your submitted abstract
You will be notified of the outcome of your application once the abstract selection process is complete (latest by end of July 2024). If you are successful, your travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed up to your allocated amount on production of relevant receipts after the conference.
To see those who received awards in 2023 click 2023 awardees below.
- Magdalena Marcell, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Bashir Ado, University of Southampton
- Ladan Ali, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Bethan Almeida, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Samantha Blamires, University of Southampton
- Anne Boulton, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Aahil Damani, King’s College London
- Clare Jackson, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Emily King, King’s College London
- Emily Lamb, Great North Children’s Hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Aravind Manoj, Sheffield Medical School
- Magdalena Marcell, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Sharanya Nagendran, Imperial College London
- Caitlin Pollock, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Holly Tallentire, St Georges NHS Trust
- Olivia Wing, Imperial College School of Medicine
BSACI Medical Scholarships Scheme 2024
BSACI is offering financial support to junior doctors to facilitate their ability to attend BSACI Annual Conference 2024. With the increasing prevalence of allergy within the UK and the shortage of allergy expertise, BSACI aims to support trainees to find out more about this evolving and dynamic specialty.
The 2024 BSACI Medical Scholarships Scheme is open to FY2 doctors, IMT and ST1-3 adult trainees in the UK. This is a fantastic opportunity for junior doctors to experience and hear from the experts what an exciting career in Allergy and Clinical Immunology looks like and how rewarding being a member of the UK allergy community can be.
How to apply:
- The scheme is open to all FY2 doctors, IMT and ST1-3 adult trainees in the UK with an interest in or considering a career in Allergy. We will provide accommodation and allow you free access to the conference, plus reimburse travel costs (up to £140).
- Send us a cover letter (300-400 words main text) detailing how you would benefit from this scholarship and explaining the motivation for your interest in this field. Please also include how you can help increase awareness of the specialty of allergy either within your department or with other trainees after the conference, such as a grand round presentation, a trainee learning event or a department meeting.
- Send us a supporting letter from your current supervisor.
- Abstract submission for the conference is encouraged but is not a requirement.
- Submissions open on Friday 2nd February 2024.
- Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com no later than Friday 19th July 2024.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application no later than Friday 2nd August.
- You will be asked to demonstrate how you have helped to increase awareness of “allergy and immunology” amongst other trainees or colleagues, after the event.
Please note previous recipients may not apply.
“I was fortunate to participate in BSACI Medical Scholarship Scheme as an Internal Medicine Trainee in 2021. This scheme enabled me to attend the BSACI Annual Conference in Harrogate, where I enjoyed excellent talks and connected with like-minded colleagues. I would definitely recommend it to any other interested trainees!”
Dr Joseph Jayasundera Medical Scholarship recipient 2021
To see those who received awards in 2023 click below
- Rachel Pierce
- Mohanad Abdelrahim
- Sally Ashton
- Danial Hakim
- Humaira Jamroze
- Hala Eltahir
- Phoebe Li
- Megan McCullagh
- Katherine Parker
- Nadjima Habibi